Barbara A. Petrus
Barbara Petrus has extensive experience in the practice of labor and employment law in Hawaii since 1982. She regularly advises and defends a wide range of employers from sole proprietorships and non-profit organizations to large Hawaii and international corporations.
Ms. Petrus represents management in all aspects of labor and employment law, as she:
- Defends businesses in litigation brought by former or present employees in the Hawaii and federal courts,
- Represents employers before Hawaii and federal administrative agencies such as the Hawaii Civil Rights Commission, the Hawaii Department of Labor and Industrial Relations, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs, the National Labor Relations Board, and the United States Department of Labor,
- Assists management in drafting employment policies and procedures and in the training of supervisors,
- Advises management regarding ways to minimize the risk of employment actions,
- Drafts various agreements related to employee separation, confidentiality, non-competition, and employment terms, and
- Represents and advises management regarding labor relations issues such as labor grievances and arbitrations, unfair labor practices, union organizing campaigns and collective bargaining negotiations.
Ms. Petrus also represents and advises educational institutions in many issues regarding their students, including accommodations under the Americans With Disabilities Act, professorial misconduct, and campus security requirements.
Ms. Petrus was born in Ballston Spa, New York and graduated from Albany Law School in 1982 (cum laude). She is a past chair of the Section on Labor and Employment Law, Hawaii State Bar Association. Ms. Petrus has authored articles for the Hawaii State Bar Association Journal on the topics of Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act and the hiring and compensation of managers by tax-exempt organizations. Ms. Petrus joined the firm as a partner in 1989.
- Albany Law School of Union University, J.D. (cum laude), 1982
- Russell Sage College, B.A. (cum laude), 1978
Admitted to Practice
- State Courts of Hawaii
- U.S. District Court of Hawaii