Brett R. Tobin
Brett R. Tobin concentrates his practice in the areas of commercial and business litigation and has worked on a wide variety of complex matters including intellectual property, commercial and real estate disputes, environmental and land use, government investigations, construction defects cases, and arbitrations. Examples of his work include:
- Commercial Litigation: Mr. Tobin has broad experience in the field of commercial disputes. He has represented both Fortune 500 companies and small businesses in disputes relating to breaches of contract, breaches of fiduciary duty, shareholder suits, admiralty and maritime matters, and business interference. He has experience in all phases of litigation from discovery - particularly electronic discovery - through trial and including settlement negotiation and alternative dispute resolution and arbitration.
- Intellectual Property: Mr. Tobin has handled a number of matters involving intellectual property. This work has included patent, trademark, copyright, and licensing disputes in a variety of fields including consumer goods, telecommunications, and pharmaceuticals and nutraceuticals. Mr. Tobin has litigated intellectual property matters in U.S. District Court as well as before the Trademark Trials and Appeals Board.
- Real Estate Litigation and Construction: Mr. Tobin has extensive experience in the area of real estate disputes. He has represented clients in matters related to commercial and residential developments, AOAO and condominium disputes, timeshares, commercial landlord-tenant actions, construction defects, and mechanic’s liens.
- Government Investigations and Compliance: Mr. Tobin has represented both corporations and individuals in numerous cases involving governmental investigations in the agency or criminal context. His experience includes proceedings before the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs, qui tam matters in Federal District Court, securities fraud investigations, antitrust matters, health care fraud, and criminal jury trials.
- Environmental and Land Use: Mr. Tobin has worked on matters involving large-scale environmental incidents as well as disputes over zoning, land use, and water rights.
- Appellate Practice: Mr. Tobin has handled matters before the appellate courts of the State of Hawaii and the U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals dealing with a variety of legal issues.
Before joining Goodsill Anderson Quinn & Stifel, Mr. Tobin practiced for five years at Williams & Connolly LLP in Washington, D.C. Mr. Tobin’s practice focused in the areas of civil and criminal defense, representing individuals as well as Fortune 500 corporations in a wide variety of matters in both state and federal court.
While in law school at the University of Virginia, Mr. Tobin served as Notes Editor on the Virginia Law Review and was a semi-finalist in the William Minor Lile Moot Court Competition. He was also inducted into the Raven Society. Following law school, Mr. Tobin served as a judicial law clerk to the Honorable J. Frederick Motz of the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland.
Prior to law school, Mr. Tobin worked as a sports writer in Virginia for two years. He also lived and worked in Beijing, China for two years, teaching English at Beijing Normal University. He has travelled extensively throughout China and Southeast Asia.
Mr. Tobin is on the Editorial Board of the Hawaii Bar Journal and he serves on the firm’s Technology and Professional Responsibility Committees.
- University of Virginia, School of Law, J.D., 2004
- College of William and Mary, B.A., 1997
- District of Columbia (inactive)
- Virginia (inactive)
Admitted to Practice
- Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- State Courts of Hawaii
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court of Hawaii
- U.S. District Court of Maryland