Dawn T. Sugihara
Dawn T. Sugihara concentrates her practice in civil litigation, with particular emphasis on personal injury, product liability, and commercial litigation. Examples of her work include:
• Personal Injury: Defended national retailers, hotels, restaurants, and Hawaii-based airlines, against premises liability claims. Won a finding of no liability for national retailer in claim for negligent design of parking transition area. Strategically defended numerous premises liability claims resulting in favorable settlements. Represented manufacturers of asbestos-containing products against claims for personal injury and wrongful death, including manufacturer of electrical machines and manufacturer of flooring products. Defended health providers against claims of malpractice.
• Product Liability: Defended manufacturers of waterproofing membranes, electrical equipment, and air conditioning equipment against claims for economic damage. Represented manufacturers of outdoor equipment, medical devices, and pharmaceuticals against claims for personal injury and wrongful death.
• Commercial Litigation: Represented individuals, non-profits, and corporations in claims involving breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, unfair and deceptive trade practices, false claims, and defamation. Through motion practice, won dismissal of all claims asserted against aviation tour operator in federal court. Negotiated advantageous settlement for national restaurant franchise in claim for breach of contract and lost profits.
• Trial Practice: Chaired or participated in trial teams for bench and jury trials in state and federal court. Secured defense jury verdict in favor of non-profit corporation.
Professionally, Ms. Sugihara is involved the Defense Research Institute and USLAW Network. In Hawaii, Ms. Sugihara participates in several charitable organizations: she is the President of Hawaii Mothers’ Milk, Inc.; President of Na Ohana, the parent association for St. Clement’s School, and volunteers as a philanthropic fundraiser for the Arthritis Foundation of Hawaii and Maryknoll School. When not working or volunteering, Ms. Sugihara is busy with her husband and two sons, coordinating baseball, soccer and other extracurricular activities.
- University of Washington School of Law, J.D., 2001
- University of Washington, B.A., 1998
Admitted to Practice
- United States Supreme Court
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- State Courts of Hawaii
- U.S. District Court of Hawaii