Gail Otsuka Ayabe
Gail Ayabe concentrates her practice in real estate, financing and business law. She has substantial experience in real estate developments, sales and acquisitions of real property, condominiums, commercial leasing, homeowners’ associations, financing and other real estate and business matters. She has prepared the condominium and sales documentation for, and has registered, over 100 condominium projects in Hawai‘i.
Examples of her work include:
- Mixed Use Developments: Works on mixed use developments including the acquisition of property and the development of the 400 Keawe project, a condominium project with commercial and residential components in the Kakaako Community Development District under the Hawai‘i Community Development Authority.
- Resort and Residential Developments: Prepares and submits land sales registrations with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and the Hawai‘i Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs, and condominium registrations with the Hawai‘i Real Estate Commission. She also has prepared declarations of restrictive covenants, homeowners’ association documents and sales documents. Ms. Ayabe has advised master developers on master association, club membership and other matters. Her experience with resort development projects includes the Kohanaiki Resort, the Manele Bay Resort, the Koele Resort, the Mauna Lani Resort and the Hualālai Resort. Residential development work includes the Ho‘onani subdivision and condominium projects located in Ewa, Hawai‘i and multi-family developments on Oahu, Lanai, Maui and the Big Island of Hawai‘i.
- Commercial and Industrial Developments: Represents developers in connection with commercial and industrial developments in Hawai‘i, including the Kapolei Commons shopping center and the Armstrong Milltown project, a warehouse condominium property regime.
- Sales and Acquisitions: Represents sellers and buyers in transactions involving commercial and residential properties. Major transactions include work on the transfer of ownership of the Island of Lānaʻi.
- Affordable Housing Projects: Works on affordable housing developments including those involving the Hawai‘i Community Development Authority, the Hawai‘i Housing Finance and Development Corporation and various counties.
- Financing: Represents lenders and borrowers in real estate and corporate loans and credit facilities, including loans made for construction and permanent financing of condominium and apartment project developments, and revolving and term credit facilities for working capital and other purposes.
Before attending law school, Ms. Ayabe worked for the public accounting firm of Deloitte Haskins & Sells in its Honolulu office. She obtained her Certified Public Accountant license in Hawai‘i in 1984. While in law school, she was an Associate Editor of the UCLA Law Review. Following law school, Ms. Ayabe served as a law clerk for the Honorable Harold M. Fong of the United States District Court for the District of Hawai‘i. She is a former director of the Real Property and Financial Services section of the Hawai‘i State Bar Association and also served as a member of the Blue Ribbon Condominium Law Recodification Advisory Committee which worked on the recodification of Hawaii’s condominium statute and a member of the Opinion Committee of the Real Property and Financial Services section of the Hawai‘i State Bar Association.
- UCLA School of Law, J.D. (Order of the Coif), 1986
- University of Washington, B.A. (magna cum laude), 1981
Admitted to Practice
- State Courts of Hawaii
- U.S. District Court of Hawaii