Gail Y. Cosgrove
Gail Y. Cosgrove centers her work in civil litigation, primarily medical liability, complex litigation, product liability and toxic tort litigation. She is listed in Hawaii Super Lawyers and a SuperProfessor as recognized by Faculty Row.
Some examples of her work include:
- Medical malpractice - Representation of hospitals, physicians and other healthcare providers in medical malpractice cases before the Medical Claims Conciliation Panel, Medical Inquiry Conciliation Panel and in State and Federal Courts.
- Complex property damage litigation – Represented a domestic building products manufacturer in a multi-million dollar property damage litigation brought by the State of Hawaii for damage to publicly owned buildings allegedly damaged by the installation of certain building products over a period of decades.
- Complex construction litigation – Represented an international architectural firm in a multi-million dollar lawsuit for damage sustained to a resort hotel by Hurricane Iniki.
- Mass tort - Served as member of a joint defense steering committee which operated as a liaison between the Hawaii federal district court judges and magistrates and all defense counsel in a mass tort litigation against pharmaceutical companies.
Gail is also a Lecturer-in-Law for the William S. Richardson School of Law where she teaches Pretrial Litigation to second and third year law students. The law school was ranked among the top five in the nation for skills training by The National Jurist in 2015, receiving an A+ award for its practical training among ABA-accredited law schools.
Active in the legal community, she is an appointed member of the Judicial Arbitration Commission and a Lawyer Delegate for the United States District Court of Hawaii.
Gail has participated in numerous legal education seminars and workshops as a speaker on a variety of subjects including medical liability, tort law, civil motions practice, experts, evidence, insurance coverage, professionalism and civility.
Some recent speaking events include:
- Internal Medicine CME - “Avoiding Pitfalls in Communication: An Attorney’s Perspective”; August 31, 2012.
- “The Practice of Law in Hawaii,” William S. Richardson School of Law, at request of Lecturer-In-Law and retired Associate Supreme Court Justice James Duffy, Hawaii Supreme Court; September 13, 2012.
- “Civility and Zealous Advocacy in the Practice of Law,” Hawaii State Bar Association, with Associate Supreme Court Justice James Duffy, Hawaii Supreme Court (ret.), Philip Brown and William Darrah; April 29, 2013.
She is a past President and a current Director of the Hawaii Women’s Legal Foundation, a nonprofit organization that provides grants to programs which benefit women and children in need.
University of Hawaii School of Law, J.D., 1981
University of Hawaii at Manoa, B.A. (with distinction), 1978
Admitted to Practice
- United States Supreme Court
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- State Courts of Hawaii
- U.S. District Court of Hawaii
Memberships and Affiliations
Defense Research Institute
Hawaii Defense Lawyers
Hawaii Justice Foundation
Hawaii State Bar Association
Hawaii Women Lawyers
Hawaii Women’s Legal Foundation