John R. Lacy
Co-author - ABA Misrepresentation in the Life, Health and Disability Survey for Hawaii
John R. Lacy has concentrated in civil trial work since joining the firm in 1973. He has litigated commercial and non-commercial jury and nonjury trials in all Hawaii Federal and State Courts. He has represented clients in numerous arbitrations and mediations. Some examples of his experience include:
- Maritime: Advises and represents major shipping and cruise lines as well as numerous London and foreign underwriters and P & I clubs in Hawaii and the Pacific Basin.
- Alternative Dispute Resolution: Advises and represents corporate clients in mediations and arbitrations. Has acted as a Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) arbitrator and has handled FINRA arbitrations.
- Aviation: Advises and represents commercial airlines, manufacturers of fixed wing and rotor wing aircraft and manufacturers of aircraft component parts in products liability, breach of contract, breach of warranty, discrimination, and negligence claims brought by government, corporate and individual plaintiffs.
- Insurance Claims: Advises and represents insurers in coverage, bad faith, and ERISA litigation.
- Business Litigation: Advises and represents corporate clients in shareholder, securities, regulatory, RICO, contract and antitrust litigation.
- Intellectual Property: Advises and represents major music licensing organization in the prosecution of copyright infringement actions. Represents Hawaii companies in trademark and copyright litigation.
- Products Liability: Advises and represents manufacturers in strict liability, warranty, negligence and failure to warn claims, including claims arising out of chemicals, aircraft, aircraft component parts, construction equipment, drilling equipment, motor vehicle, electrical equipment, oil refinery equipment and sporting gear.
- Professional Malpractice: Advises and represents physicians, nurses and other health care professionals as to professional negligence claims. Has defended attorneys against a variety of professional negligence claims. Defended title insurers and escrow companies in title and escrow litigation and arbitrations. Retained by E & O carrier to review and evaluate the performance of counsel handling third party professional negligence claims.
Mr. Lacy has conducted seminars on various litigation issues for professional organizations and corporate clients. He enjoys traveling, reading, swimming and a variety of ocean related activities.
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, J.D., 1973
- University of Southern California, M.S., 1971
- San Diego State University, 1966
Admitted to Practice
- United States Supreme Court
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- State Courts of Hawaii
- U.S. District Court of Hawaii