Lani L. Ewart
Lani Ewart concentrates her practice in the area of financing, particularly, real estate secured lending. She represents lenders and borrowers in a variety of financial transactions involving term loans and revolving lines of credit. Ms. Ewart also handles general real estate matters, including acquisitions, leases and sales of commercial properties. Examples of her work include:
- Construction and Permanent Financing: Represents Hawaii, national and international lenders in loans made for the purposes of financing or refinancing the acquisition, construction or renovation of condominium projects, subdivisions, hotels, shopping centers, retail stores, warehouses, office and other commercial properties on Oahu and on the Neighbor Islands.
- Credit Facilities: Represents lenders and borrowers in establishing secured or unsecured revolving and term credit facilities, including loan syndications, for working capital, business expansion and investments. Represented one company in establishing, and later refinancing, credit facilities, including a trust indenture, which funded a leveraged buyout of the company.
- Loan Workout: Represents lenders and borrowers in connection with restructuring troubled mortgage loans and credit facilities, the sale and assignment of loans and the exercise of the rights and remedies of the parties with respect to the collateral. In one mortgage on a subdivision project, represented a lender in its acceptance of an assignment by the borrower of the master lease in lieu of foreclosure, in the lender’s purchase of the fee interest in the project from the master lessor and in the lender’s subsequent sale of the entire project to a third party purchaser.
- Leased Fee: Represented various fee owners in the sales of their leased fee interests in condominium projects to the condominium associations or to individual apartment owners. Also represents lenders in financing purchases of leased fee interests by condominium associations.
Ms. Ewart serves on Hawaii's Commission to Promote Uniform Legislation, which represents the State of Hawaii in the National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws (NCCUSL), the organization that drafted the Uniform Commercial Code and over 200 other uniform acts in various fields of law.
- University of California at Berkeley, J.D., 1975
- University of Hawaii, B.A. (Highest Honors), 1972
Admitted to Practice
- State Courts of California
- State Courts of Hawaii
- U.S. District Court of Hawaii