Leighton J. H. S. Yuen
Leighton Yuen concentrates his practice in real estate development and transactions, and financing and business law. His experience includes commercial, hospitality, residential and mixed-use developments and transactions, and real estate and business based financing. He currently serves as practice group leader for Goodsill’s real estate section.
Examples of his work include:
- Transactional Work: Represents sellers’, buyers’ and developers’ interests in various sale, development and leasing transactions involving commercial properties and development transactions throughout Hawai‘i. Representative clients include Waikoloa Land Company, The MacNaughton Group, Castle & Cooke, Kukui‘ula Development Co., Kyo-ya Hotels & Resorts and Kaneohe Ranch. Recent transactions include purchases of land for the development of The Collection in Kakaako by A&B Properties and for the development of the 400 Keawe project by Castle & Cooke. Work experience includes serving as lead Hawai‘i counsel for the sale of the Island of Lana‘i, lead Hawai‘i counsel for the purchase of Tesoro Hawaii by Par Petroleum and lead real estate counsel for the sale by Kaneohe Ranch of its Hawai‘i landholdings.
- Residential and Mixed Use Developments and Offerings: Prepares project documentation for master planned residential and mixed-use communities, including Restrictive Covenants, Owners Association Documents, Project Rules and Regulations, Sales Documents and Offering Documents. Representative projects include Koa Ridge on Oahu, Manele Bay and Puulani Ridge Projects on Lana‘i, Kukui‘ula Development on Kauai, and Hualalai Resort, Kohanaiki Shores, and Waikoloa Beach Resort on the Island of Hawai‘i.
- Financing: Represents borrower and lender interests in various real estate and business based loans and credit facilities. Representative projects include financing arrangements for Waikoloa Beach Resort, Parker Ranch and MacNaughton entities. Experience also includes loan documentation on behalf of Hawaii banks including for several developments in Kakaako and for various corporate and business based credit facilities.
- Hospitality Industry Development and Operation: Represents Waikoloa Land Company in matters relating to the development, marketing and operation of Waikoloa Beach Resort and similar projects, including Kyo-ya Hotels & Resorts in connection with its Sheraton Waikiki and Royal Hawaiian Hotel properties. Experience also includes resort and sales documentation for Castle & Cooke Resorts, Kukui‘ula Development Co., and Kohanaiki Shores.
- Retail Developments: Represents developers’ and owners’ interests with respect to Kona Commons and Kapolei Commons Projects. Previous work includes development of the Waikele Commercial Center, Guam Premium Outlet Center, Bougainville Industrial Park Costco Project, KMart Kauai, and KMart Maui.
Since 2005, Mr. Yuen has been recognized by Best Lawyers and was named 2011 Honolulu Best Lawyers Real Estate Lawyer of the Year. Mr. Yuen has also been recognized by Chambers USA as one of the leading real estate attorneys in Hawai‘i since 2005.
Mr. Yuen was born and raised in Honolulu, Hawai‘i, and graduated from Punahou School in 1976. At Berkeley, Mr. Yuen majored in business administration, with an emphasis in accounting and applied economics.
- Harvard Law School, J.D., 1983
- University of California at Berkeley, B.S., 1980
Admitted to Practice
- State Courts of Hawaii
- U.S. District Court of Hawaii