Lennes Omuro concentrates his practice in the area of litigation. He has successfully handled trials, arbitrations, mediations and appeals in both the State and federal courts. He has substantial experience in the areas of construction/real estate, insurance, commercial litigation, premises liability, personal injury, nuisance/landowner liability, professional malpractice, and class actions.
• Construction/Real Estate: Successfully handled numerous residential and commercial construction cases involving design and construction defects and/or payment or performance issues, including related issues of insurance, mold, drainage/flooding, rockfall, termites, dust, toxic tort, violation of the Americans With Disability Act (ADA), personal injury, and wrongful death. Extensive experience in advising and representing major commercial and residential developers, contractors and/or manufacturers in construction defect cases, complex litigation, contract, disclosure and warranty preparation and disputes, and also class actions.
• Commercial Litigation: Handled numerous commercial and contractual disputes including but not limited to disputes involving stock and asset sale agreements, commercial leases, equipment leases, professional service agreements, real estate contracts, development agreements, brokerage contracts, financial contracts, Truth in Lending Act matters and letters of credit.
• Nuisance/Landowner Liability: Handled cases involving claims ranging from excessive dust and noise, to rockfall or threats of rockfall, to flooding, and to large scale emissions from an industrial facility.
• Professional Malpractice: Successfully represented real estate brokers and agents, mortgage brokers, management companies, construction design professionals, and other professionals in malpractice actions.
• Personal Injury/Premises Liability: Handled numerous personal injury cases involving a wide range of claims, with extensive experience in premises liability, recreational use statutes, motor vehicle collision, and wrongful death cases.
• Insurance: Extensive experience in advising insurers on a wide variety of coverage issues involving many different types of policies including CGL, CUL, D&O, life insurance, automobile/no-fault policies, etc. Successfully handled numerous cases involving claims of insurer bad faith and fraud, including setting aside a multimillion dollar judgment against an insurance company based on misrepresentation and fraud by its insured. Extensive experience also in assisting clients in disputes with insurers.
• Class Actions: Has represented parties in class action lawsuits, including class actions involving alleged construction/design defects, plumbing products, and dust/nuisance claims.
Born and raised in Honolulu, Hawaii, Mr. Omuro joined Goodsill Anderson Quinn & Stifel in 1990 and is a partner in the litigation section. He is a member of the Board of Editors of the Hawaii Bar Journal and his extensive publications include: New Hawaii Construction Defect Claim Law, February 2, 2005; Coming to Terms with Electronic Discovery, Hawaii Bar Journal, February 1, 2006 (with L. Bail and A. Thompson-Smith); Landowner Liability to Persons Outside the Premises: Beware of Falling Rocks, Hawaii Bar Journal, May 15, 2006 (with J.
Young); Removing a Case to Federal Court When Diversity Jurisdiction Exists, Hawaii Bar Journal, November 2014 (with D. Hoftiezer and K. Suzuka); author of Hawaii Section of USLaw Construction Compendium (2010, 2012, and 2015); author of Hawaii Section of DRI Construction Litigation Desk Reference (2010 and 2015); Lateral Hiring of Attorneys – Positives with Pitfalls, Hawaii Bar Journal, March 2016; Gifts from Clients: Yes or No, Hawaii Bar Journal, April 2016. He also serves as an arbitrator in Hawaii’s Court Annexed Arbitration Program.
- William S. Richardson School of Law, University of Hawaii, J.D., 1990
- Stanford University, B.A. (with Distinction), 1983
Admitted to Practice
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- State Courts of Hawaii
- U.S. District Court of Hawaii