Patricia Mathias NaPier
Patricia Mathias NaPier concentrates her practice in the area of civil litigation. She represents corporate defendants in matters involving business and commercial litigation, Internet and ecommerce, class actions, premises liability, product liability, personal injury, insurance and contract disputes and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). She has an AV® Preeminent Rating from Martindale-Hubbell for ethical standards and legal ability.
Examples of her work include:
- Personal Injury/Wrongful Death: Represented corporate defendants in various personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits involving claims of negligence, products liability, breach of warranty, liquor liability, toxic torts, medical malpractice, unseaworthiness, Jones Act negligence, civil liability for criminal acts, ocean liability, and liability for recreational and sports injuries.
- Premises Liability: Defended owners and operators of hotels, resorts, travel agencies, on-line travel companies, bars, restaurants, power plants, swimming pools, water slides, spas, beaches, golf courses, boats, trams, recreational and sports facilities.
- Commercial: Represented clients in commercial litigation involving breach of contract, copyright infringement, joint ventures, unfair and deceptive trade practices, and tortious interference with contract claims.
- Internet and Ecommerce: Advised and defended on-line travel companies in contract and litigation issues including class action defense.
- Insurance/Contracts: Advised and represented clients regarding insurance issues and contractual rights and obligations.
- Americans with Disabilities Act: Defended clients in lawsuits filed pursuant to Title III of the ADA alleging discrimination against disabled persons by public accommodations, including the first federal court jury trial in Hawai‘i involving alleged ADA violations.
Ms. NaPier has written articles including “Landowner Liability Under Hawaii Law,” "Hawaii Hotels’ Liability for Ocean Injuries," “Liquor Liability Law in Hawaii,” and “Liquor Liability Law Update” published in the Hawaii Bar Journal; “Medical Charts and Malpractice: How to Avoid Costly Errors and Omissions,” published in the Hawaii Medical Journal; and “Civil Liability for Criminal Assaults Under Hawaii Law,” published by the Hawaii Institute for Continuing Legal Education.
Ms. NaPier has conducted seminars for corporate clients and attorneys on issues relevant to litigation, premises liability, recreational injuries, arbitrator training, tort law updates, use of medical records at trial, and risk management. She regularly serves as local counsel working with U.S. mainland attorneys in Hawai‘i litigation.
In her free time, Ms. NaPier enjoys swimming, surfing, and bicycling.
- University of Maryland, J.D., 1982
- University of Maryland, B.S., 1978
- District of Columbia
Admitted to Practice
- Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals
- State Courts of Hawaii
- State Courts of Maryland
- U.S. District Court of Hawaii
- U.S. District Court of Maryland