Regan M. Iwao
Regan M. Iwao joined the firm in 2000 after receiving his law degree with cum laude honors. Concentrating his practice in litigation, Mr. Iwao has represented plaintiffs and defendants in federal and state courts, arbitrations and mediations. Examples of his work include:
• Real Estate Litigation: Cases involving lease disputes, title disputes, foreclosures, mortgage disputes, insurance disputes and claims, quiet title, partitions, summary possession, real estate professional liability and DROA disputes.
• Construction Litigation: Cases involving owner, design professional and contractor liability, contract disputes, mechanic’s liens, ADA and FHA claims, property damage and products liability for residential, commercial and major real estate development projects.
• Commercial Litigation: Cases involving contract disputes, joint venture disputes, investment disputes, commercial disputes, injunctive and declaratory relief claims, unfair and deceptive trade practices, unfair competition, tortious interference claims, and monopolization claims.
• Personal Injury Litigation: Cases involving motor vehicle accidents, wrongful deaths, slips and falls, dog bites, premises liability, and products liability.
• Other Litigation: Cases involving pre and post judgment collection claims, foreign judgments, replevin, lemon law claims, administrative citations and appeals, recovery of health and benefits liens, and trust and estate disputes.
Honors and Awards
• Selected to the Hawaii Super Lawyers list (2016)
• Rated by Martindale-Hubbell as AV Preeminent
Since joining the firm, Mr. Iwao has been an active member of Volunteer Legal Services Hawaii. While getting his law degree, he was an editor for the University of Hawaii Law Review. His undergraduate degree is in mechanical engineering. He graduated with magna cum laude honors and is a member of Tau Beta Pi and Pi Tau Sigma, engineering honorary societies. He obtained his EIT certificate in 1997. Mr. Iwao spent a year teaching English in Japan before entering law school.
Mr. Iwao is a Director for the Legal Aid Society of Hawaii, Director for the Hawaii Justice Foundation, Barrister for the American Inns of Court, James S. Burns Aloha Chapter, current member and former Chair of the HSBA’s Delivery of Legal Services to the Public Committee, 2014 HSBA Leadership Institute Fellow, and member of various committees focused on pro-bono and access to justice.
- William S. Richardson School of Law, University of Hawaii, J.D. (cum laude), 2000
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, B.S. (magna cum laude), 1996
Admitted to Practice
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- State Courts of Hawaii
- U.S. District Court of Hawaii