Walter Kupa‘aikalani Coronel
Walter Kupa‘aikalani Coronel concentrates his practice in intellectual property law.
- Patent and Trademark Law: As a registered Patent Attorney he counsels clients in the domestic and foreign Patent and Trademark application processes, licensing, due diligence, pre-litigation activities, and all aspects of patent and trademark portfolio management.
- Technology Transactions: Walter leverages his engineering degree and technical expertise to negotiate purchases, sales, assignments, licenses, and other transactions of intellectual property and technology.
- IP Litigation: In collaboration with Goodsill litigators, he has successfully defended and pursued claims of infringement of intellectual property before the U.S. Trademark Trial & Appeal Board (TTAB), Hawaii District Court, and before various administrative tribunals.
- Mergers and Acquisition: Walter counsels clients on the due diligence requirements of intellectual property in the context of M&A deals, including analysis of patent and trademark portfolios to determine strengths and weaknesses of intellectual property.
- Internet and eCommerce: He counsels clients regarding legal matters relating to business on the Internet, including domain names, copyright and trademark compliance, fair use, free speech, cyber-crimes, privacy and best practices.
- Copyright and Right of Publicity: Walter regularly counsels companies in transactions for art, content creation, public appearances, and in the defense of claims of violation of copyright.
Walter is a graduate of the Hawaiʻi Preparatory Academy (HPA) on the Big Island and is originally from Kailua-Kona, Hawaiʻi. He studied Electrical Engineering & Computer Science at University of California, Irvine and received his law degree from University of San Francisco. After law school he practiced in Perkins Coie’s Silicon Valley office for three years in the Intellectual Property Group. Thereafter he returned to Hawaiʻi to manage his own practice before joining the firm.
- University of San Francisco, J.D., 2006
- J. Thomas McCarthy Institute for Intellectual Property and Technology Law, Intellectual Property & Technology Law Certificate, 2006
- University of California, Irvine, B.S., 2003
Admitted to Practice
- State Courts of California
- State Courts of Hawaii
- U.S. District Court of Hawaii
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office