Goodsill has a long and successful track record in assisting its clients in the health care sector to establish and manage changing business relationships and comply with the increasingly complex regulatory framework within which they operate. We regularly assist clients who include hospital systems, skilled nursing facilities, the Hawaii medical residency program, physician practice groups, and other providers. We also provide federal and state law legal support to insurers, third-party administrators, associations, professional employer organizations, multiple employer welfare arrangements, brokers, and employers regarding their welfare benefit plans. Examples of our work include:
- Corporate Strategies, Structuring and Antitrust – Advising and documenting on all aspects of selling, purchasing, establishing, maintaining and restructuring corporate and other business structures for integrated delivery systems, joint ventures, public-private partnerships, and entity conversions or privatization; advising on matters of corporate governance and antitrust planning and compliance.
- Finance – Advising, evaluating and structuring transactions, including commercial and tax-exempt bond financing, loans, real estate and equipment leasing and asset-based financing.
- Compliance – Advising on all aspects of federal and state regulatory compliance, including the Affordable Care Act, ERISA, federal regulations, and regulatory filings.
- Regulatory Audits and Investigations – Supporting and representing clients in federal audits, defending against government investigations, and handling qui tam matters.
- Fraud and Abuse – Analyzing potential problems involving Medicare/Medicaid fraud and abuse, representing and advising providers during government investigations and advising on compliance with Stark I and II.
- Government Relations – Monitoring and evaluating potential impacts of proposed legislation and representing clients in federal and state governmental agency and regulatory matters, including the State Health Planning and Development Agency (SHPDA) and Certificates of Need.
- Healthcare Plans – Developing various forms of health care plans and advising as to compliance with federal and state law.
- Labor and Employment – Representing management clients in all aspects of labor and employment law.
- Litigation – Handling civil litigation and arbitration of disputes involving issues such as medical staff privileges, third-party reimbursements, collections, business contracts, and joint ventures.
- Medical and Financial Privacy – Advising on compliance with medical and financial privacy and security privacy requirements of HIPAA.
- Tax – Providing tax advice to both for-profit and non-profit organizations, establishing strategies and structuring alternatives for compliance with applicable tax laws, and representing health care clients in tax controversies.
Attorneys serving Goodsill’s health law clients are members of and participate in the programs of the American Health Lawyers Association, the American Bar Association’s Health Law Forum, and Healthcare Association of Hawaii. They also serve as conference panelists on health care-related legal presentations and contribute to publications in the field.