Goodsill is the “go to” firm for insurance companies needing legal representation in Hawaii and the Pacific Rim. Goodsill attorneys have an impressive track record in all areas of insurance law, from the transactional side – qualification to do business in Hawaii, purchase and sale, dissolution – to the successful defense of bad faith claims, and everything in between. Examples of our work include:
- Bad Faith and Fraud – representing numerous insurers in bad faith and fraud matters and other first-party litigation against insurers, including jury trials, mediations and arbitrations. At the appellate level, we have successfully set aside several multi-million dollar bad faith and/or fraud judgments against insurers.
- Insurance Coverage – serving as principal Hawaii coverage counsel for major national carriers, advising and defending as to disputes involving denials of claims.
- Complex Insurance Defense – handling of defense, mediation and negotiation of settlements of complex matters on behalf of both insurers and insureds.
- Monitoring Counsel – serving as counsel for insurance companies to monitor or oversee the defense of third-party litigation in Hawaii and throughout the Pacific Rim.
- Transactional and Regulatory – securing state and federal regulatory approvals, including certificates of authority to issue policies in the State of Hawaii, and general agent licenses, and providing regulatory guidance and general corporate and business advice. We have handled complex dissolution of a Hawaii insurer put into receivership by the Hawaii Insurance Commissioner.
- Captive Insurance – assisting businesses with the regulatory processes of the Insurance Division and the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs in the organization and registration of captive insurance companies and related corporate documentation. We are members of the Hawaii Captive Insurance Council, as one of the few law firms handling captive insurance matters in the State of Hawaii.
- Business Disputes – handling of numerous business disputes, including reinsurance and other types of contract disputes.
Goodsill’s clients include an impressive list of national and international insurers, as well as local insurers, agents, and brokers. Our attorneys who practice in the insurance area often serve as panelists for insurance seminars and contribute to publications in the field.