Labor and Employment
Goodsill’s Labor and Employment Group serves the needs of Hawaii’s employers. We are thoroughly versed in the ever-changing maze of federal and state regulations governing employment practices and employer-employee relations. We provide a complete range of services from initial counseling to appellate court practice, striving to assist employers in maintaining positive relations with their employees and avoiding the expense and disruption of litigation. Examples of our work include:
- Civil Litigation – We represent management in wrongful termination, discrimination, harassment, Americans with Disabilities Act claims, and other employment-related civil litigation. The firm is also retained by insurers of all types of business and nonprofit organizations to defend against liability claims under Employment Practices Liability Insurance (EPLI) and D&O insurance policies.
- Agency Practice – We represent management before the Hawaii Civil Rights Commission, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Hawaii Department of Labor and Industrial Relations, the United States Department of Labor, including the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs, and the National Labor Relations Board, as well as various other state and federal agencies enforcing employment laws.
- Labor Relations, Collective Bargaining, and Union Activities – We represent management with respect to grievance resolution, unfair labor practices, union organizing campaigns, and collective bargaining.
- Counseling Services – We provide information and advice regarding day-to-day issues such as interviewing, hiring, responding to reference inquiries, employee supervision and management, employee counseling and documentation, employee discipline, termination, employee benefits, mandatory health and disability insurance, and leaves of absences.
- Prevention and Training – We provide information and advice in preventing, and resolving promptly, workplace issues such as substance abuse, violence in the workplace, and sexual harassment; seminars and training at the workplace to respond to employers’ individual needs.
- Business Transactions and Employment Related Legal Documentation – We advise, negotiate, and document business transactions (including sales, mergers, and closures); collective bargaining proposals; individual employment contracts; independent contractor agreements; employment manuals and policies; EPLI policies, employee pension and health plans; employee discipline and termination documentation; and separation agreements.
We are privileged to serve the needs of multinational, national, and local corporations, non-profit organizations, small businesses, and individual entrepreneurs.View our blog: Hawaii Labor & Employment Insider for The Akamai Employer