Real Estate and Construction Litigation
Goodsill’s litigators represent clients pursuing or defending claims involving construction contracts, alleged construction or design defects, foreclosure and complex real estate litigation, landlord/tenant matters, summary possession, real property tax and assessments, land title disputes, condemnations, and lease rent negotiations and arbitrations. We also have extensive experience advising and representing major commercial and residential developers in complex litigation, contract, disclosure and warranty disputes, including class actions. Examples include:
- Construction Litigation – Represented developers, landowners, general contractors and subcontractors in a wide variety of disputes, such as alleged construction defects, dust and ground settling, toxic torts, violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), personal injuries and wrongful death. Advised and successfully represented developers, engineering and construction firms and a variety of contractors in construction contract disputes and claims before the Contractors Licensing Board.
- Mechanic’s Liens and Construction Project Workouts – Represented developers, general contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, tenants and construction lenders in mechanic’s liens, Miller Act and other payment disputes and workouts on construction projects which include hotels, shopping centers, golf courses and residential subdivisions.
- Disputes Involving Interests in Real Property – Represented lessees and lessors in condemnation proceedings under the Hawaii Land Reform Act (lease-to-fee conversion). Represented landowners in condemnation, adverse possession, quiet title and other claims.
- Foreclosure, Summary Possession, Lease Disputes – Successfully represented corporate landowner in complex litigation involving redemption of tax sale property. Represented Asian, Mainland U.S. and Hawaii lenders in commercial and contested residential foreclosures actions. Represented landowners and tenants in lease disputes, lease rent renegotiations and summary possession actions.
- Land Use Matters – Represented numerous clients in zoning and land use matters, including coordinating development efforts for a national wholesale outlet chain and representing it in a contested case before the Honolulu Zoning Board of Appeals. Represented a landowner in major litigation before the Hawaii State Commission on Water Resource Management regarding allocation of water.
Goodsill’s litigators work closely with attorneys in our real estate, tax, government relations and environmental law groups to achieve cost-effective and often creative solutions, advising and representing clients in every type of dispute or controversy involving real property.