Located at the traditional crossroads of the Pacific, Goodsill’s International Practice Group serves the legal needs of U.S. and foreign clients in Hawai‘i, on the U.S. mainland, and abroad. While our practice has a strong focus on the Asia-Pacific region, we have represented clients’ interests throughout the world, including Australia, Canada, Central America, East Africa, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, New Zealand, the Peoples’ Republic of China, Switzerland, Taiwan, and the United Kingdom.
The firm is a member of the Pacific Rim Advisory Council which is a select international group of 30 law firms with a focus on the Pacific Rim. In addition, several attorneys are involved in international legal organizations such as the Inter-Pacific Bar Association and the Section of International Law and Practice of the American Bar Association.
Goodsill also has attorneys and legal assistants with capabilities in Japanese, Korean, Mandarin, Cantonese, French, German, and Spanish languages.
Examples of our international work include:
- International Transactions – Assisting foreign and domestic clients in negotiating, financing, structuring, and documenting international transactions, including stock and asset acquisitions, joint venture activities, corporate mergers and reorganizations, and real estate transactions. Recent experience includes structuring and financing major investments in power projects in China and the Philippines, handling the purchase and sale of a major hotel in Australia, and assisting a Hawai‘i biotechnology company’s efforts to form a joint venture in India.
- International Trade – Advising and counseling clients on compliance with U.S. international trade laws, including export controls, customs laws, economic sanctions, import laws, anti-boycott regulations, international trade agreements, encryption controls, and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- Immigration – Advising and assisting foreign individuals and companies in understanding and satisfying eligibility requirements to obtain visas (both non-immigrant and immigrant) required to enter the United States and, thereafter, to maintain their immigration status.
- International Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution – Counseling U.S. and foreign clients on administrative proceedings, litigation, and alternative dispute resolution involving all forms of business, commercial, and securities disputes. Recent experience includes defending a Japanese magazine publisher in a defamation action brought by U.S. residents, advising Japanese attorneys representing the victims of a submarine/fishing vessel accident off the coast of Hawai‘i, and the successful defense of a large Japanese trading company in an arbitration brought by its U.S. distributor in Hawai‘i.
- International Tax and Estate Planning – Advising U.S. and foreign clients on the international tax implications of their overseas business activities and estate planning for overseas property.
- Bankruptcy – Representing a variety of international clients in the Hawai‘i Bankruptcy Court, including clients from Japan, Hong Kong, and Singapore.
- International Banking – Advising foreign banks and non-bank lenders (most recently from Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Shanghai, and the Philippines) on complex loan documentation, mortgage transactions, foreclosures, and other banking and financing transactions.