Goodsill’s Labor and Employment Group serves the needs of Hawaii’s employers. We are thoroughly versed in the ever-changing maze of federal and state regulations governing employment practices and employer-employee relations.
We provide a complete range of services from initial counseling to appellate court practice, striving to assist employers in maintaining positive relations with their employees and avoiding the expense and disruption of litigation.
We are privileged to serve the needs of multinational, national, and local corporations, non-profit organizations, small businesses, and individual entrepreneurs in the following regards:
- Civil Litigation – Representing management in wrongful termination, discrimination, harassment, Americans with Disabilities Act claims, and other employment-related civil litigation. The firm is also retained by insurers of all types of business and nonprofit organizations to defend against liability claims under Employment Practices Liability Insurance (EPLI) and D&O insurance policies.
- Agency Practice – Representing management before the Hawai‘i Civil Rights Commission, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Hawai‘i Department of Labor and Industrial Relations, and the United States Department of Labor, including the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs and the National Labor Relations Board.
- Labor Relations, Collective Bargaining, and Union Activities – Representing management with respect to grievance resolution, unfair labor practices, union organizing campaigns, and collective bargaining.
- Counseling Services – Providing information and advice regarding day-to-day issues such as interviewing, hiring, responding to reference inquiries, employee supervision and management, employee counseling and documentation, employee discipline, termination, employee benefits, mandatory health and disability insurance, and leaves of absences.
- Prevention and Training – Providing information and advice in preventing and promptly resolving workplace issues such as substance abuse, violence in the workplace, and sexual harassment. Conducting seminars and training at the workplace to respond to employers’ individual needs.
- Business Transactions and Employment Related Legal Documentation – Advising, negotiating, and documenting business transactions (including sales, mergers, and closures), collective bargaining proposals, individual employment contracts independent contractor agreements, non-competition, non-solicitation and non-disclosure agreements, employment manuals and policies, employee discipline and termination documentation, and separation agreements.