Paul B. Shimomoto practices in the areas of corporate and insurance regulatory law, with an emphasis in captive insurance.
He handles matters pertaining to formations, conversions, corporate governance, mergers & acquisitions, complex liquidations, reinsurance agreement and trust transactions, commutations and novations, policy drafting and redomestications. His captive and insurance regulatory clients include publicly-traded Fortune 500 and Global 500 companies from the U.S., Japan and Europe. Paul is also a frequent presenter at local, national and international seminars and conferences for captive insurance.
Paul has achieved the highest rating of “AV Preeminent” (Highest Ethical Standing and Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence) by Martindale-Hubbell, and he has been consistently recognized as a “Top Rated Lawyer” in Insurance Law by the American Lawyer and Corporate Counsel Magazines.
OUTSIDE THE OFFICE
Paul is an award-winning recording artist and has shared the stage with some of the biggest names in local entertainment, including opening for two-time Grammy Award Winner, LeAnn Rimes. He received two Hawaii Music (People’s Choice) Awards and has been nominated for awards and recognition at the 2004 and 2009 Grammy Awards and the 2004 and 2008 Na Hoku Hanohano Awards.
A soccer enthusiast through and through, Paul spent 20 years coaching competitively at the high school and club levels in Hawaii. Paul currently coaches the men’s soccer team at Chaminade University of Honolulu (NCAA, Division II).
- Creighton University School of Law, Omaha, Nebraska
- J.D. - 1993
- University of Denver, Denver, Colorado
- B.A. - 1990
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court District of Hawaii
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals
- Captive Insurance Companies Association, Leadership Council Member
- National Risk Retention Association, Member
- Hawaii Captive Insurance Council, President, Director & Marketing Committee Chair
- Hawaii State Bar Association, Member
- Captive Insurance
- Business Law and Securities
- Martindale Hubbell, A/V Preeminent Rating
- American Lawyer Magazine, Top Rated Lawyer (Insurance)
- National Law Journal Magazine, Top Rated Lawyer (Insurance)
- Corporate Counsel Magazine, Top Rated Lawyer (Insurance)