Industries We Serve
Goodsill attorneys provide innovative, solutions-oriented legal counsel to an impressive list of domestic and international clients across a wide array of industries.
Banking and Financial Service Institutions
We represent both foreign and domestic banks, as well as other financial institutions and corporate lenders, in all aspects of their various business activities.
Goodsill has advised and assisted clients in the areas of traditional banking services as well as with the development of new ventures, such as insurance and e-commerce. We’re prepared to meet legal, business and regulatory issues encountered by the banking and financial services industry with attorneys experienced in the areas such as:
- Loans and Other Credit Facilities
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Business and Securities
- Real Estate
- Loan Restructuring and Workouts
- Labor and Employment
We also represent borrowers in their commercial loan and financing transactions with banks and other lenders. As a result, we are familiar with the key issues and concerns from the respective viewpoints of lenders and borrowers and are able to suggest practical solutions to the satisfaction of the involved parties.
Commercial and Retail Operations and Development
Our firm has a history of representing both owners and tenants of shopping centers, office buildings, and other commercial and retail properties.
Goodsill has assisted clients in the development, sale, purchase, financing, and management of various properties in Hawai‘i and throughout the Pacific Basin. We also provide the legal services needed for the day-to-day operations of both owners and tenants in the commercial and retail market.
Our attorneys are active participants in professional organizations, such as the International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC), the Institute of Real Estate Management (IREM), the Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA), and the National Association of Industrial and Office Properties (NAIOP).
Some of our clientele include:
- Dave & Busters
- The Federated Department Stores
- Pacific Guardian Tower
- Waikiki Galleria Tower
- Bank of Hawai’i Waikiki Center
- Tumon Sands Plaza (Guam)
- McCully Shopping Center
Goodsill has a long and successful track record in assisting clients in the healthcare sector. We regularly assist clients who include hospital systems, skilled-nursing facilities, the Hawai‘i medical residency program, physician practice groups, and other providers.
We also provide federal and state legal advice and support to insurers, third-party administrators, associations, professional employer organizations, and brokers, and to employers regarding their welfare benefit plans.
Goodsill’s clients include an impressive list of national and international insurers, as well as local agents and brokers. Our attorneys who practice in the insurance area often serve as panelists for insurance seminars and contribute to publications in the field.
Examples of our work include:
- Corporate Strategies, Structuring and Reorganizations, and Acquisitions and Dispositions – Advising on and documenting all aspects of selling, purchasing, establishing, maintaining, and restructuring corporate and other business entities, including regulatory, governance, antitrust and related areas.
- Finance – Advising, evaluating and structuring transactions, including commercial and tax-exempt bond financing, loans, real estate and equipment leasing and asset-based financing.
- Regulatory Audits and Investigations – Supporting and representing clients in audits and defending against government investigations.
- Government Relations – Monitoring and evaluating potential impacts of proposed legislation, and representing clients in federal and state governmental agency and regulatory matters.
- Labor and Employment – Representing management clients in all aspects of labor and employment law.
- Litigation – Handling civil litigation and arbitration of disputes involving issues such as medical liability claims, administrative and agency proceedings, third-party reimbursements, collections, business contracts, and joint ventures.
- Tax – Providing tax advice to both for-profit and non-profit organizations, establishing strategies and structuring alternatives for compliance with applicable tax laws while mitigating tax liabilities, and representing health care clients in tax controversies.
- Business Organizations – Providing advice and entity selection, formation and organization and related corporate governance issues.
Hospitality and Tourism
Our attorneys regularly advise leaders in the Hawai῾i Hospitality Industry both locally and internationally, in all aspects of their business.
Goodsill attorneys represent hotels, airlines, travel agencies, restaurants, golf courses, amusement parks, resort developers, and others involved in the Hospitality Industry. We give practical advice, understand the need for timely responses, and provide cost-effective solutions to travel and hospitality businesses.
We are prepared to meet legal, business and regulatory issues encountered by the Hospitality Industry with attorneys experienced in the areas such as:
- Real Estate and Business Transactions
- Development, Construction, and Leasing
- Loans, Financing and Other Credit Facilities
- Labor and Employment
- Contract Negotiation and Review
- Litigation, Accidents and Claims
- Business Organizations
Our representative clients in the Hospitality Industry group include:
- Hyatt Corporation
- Four Seasons
- Japan Airlines and its Hawai’i affiliates
- Grand Wailea Resort
- The Kyo-ya Group and its various properties including the Sheraton Waikiki Hotel, The Palace Hotel in San Francisco, the Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, the Royal Hawai’ian Hotel, the Moana Surfrider Hotel and the Princess Kaiulani Hotel
- Marriott International, Inc.
- Grand Hyatt Kauai
- Restaurant Suntory
- Nippon Travel Agency Hawai’i
- Rakuten Travel and Golf
- TY Management Corporation (Kapalua Golf Bay and Plantation Courses)
- Hoakalei Country Club
- JTB Hawai’i and Affiliates
Captive Insurance Companies
Shaping Captive Insurance Businesses in Hawai’i
Setting up a captive insurance company comes with many benefits. Namely, it can reduce the overall cost of commercial insurance programs and centralize an organization’s risk management functions while smoothing its cash flow. Additionally, it may be able to offer commercial coverage when such coverage is either cost-prohibitive or unavailable in the traditional insurance marketplace. Captives also provide access to reinsurance markets that are generally only available to commercial insurers.
Hawai’i is the premier captive domicile of the Pacific, measured in terms of the number of captives formed and operated, the supporting infrastructure available and the premium underwritten. Many of the world’s largest and reputable companies formed and operate their captive insurance companies in Hawai’i.
The experienced attorneys at Goodsill handle a wide variety of related matters, including captive formations (i.e., pure/single parent, risk-retention groups and protected cells), conversions, mergers, liquidations, redomestications, coverage matters, policy drafting and reinsurance trusts. We also assist our captive insurance clients with diverse and sophisticated corporate transactions, corporate governance and best practice issues, and other general insurance regulatory matters. Our captive insurance attorneys have more than seven decades of collective experience representing captive insurance companies in Hawai’i.
Call us at 808-547-5600 or send us an email.
We assist leaders in educational institutions in resolving conflicts and litigation.