Handling Wage Garnishments March 24, 2022 | 9:00 am – 10:30 am John Mackey & the Hawai’i Employers Council.
Hawai’i Employers Council
Handling Wage Garnishments
March 24, 2022 | 9:00 am – 10:30 am
John S. Mackey, Partner at Goodsill, will be hosting a webinar on the topic of wage garnishments. Processing garnishments, child support orders, and other levies (e.g., IRS levy) can be daunting, especially when an employer receives multiple requests for the same employee. The pressure is on employers to accurately compute the pay withholdings or face legal liability.
In this webinar, participants will learn answers to common concerns and questions such as:
- How to calculate garnishment limits based on State and Federal laws
- Which “earnings” should be included in the calculations (e.g., wages, tips, bonuses, service awards, workers’ compensation payments, severance pay, etc.), including a discussion on DOL’s 2018 opinion letter concerning lump sum earnings
- What is the priority of distributions for an employee with multiple garnishments
- Whether an employer may charge an administrative fee for the garnishment
- How to respond to QMCSO (Qualified Medical, Child Support Order) or Garnishee Order
- What to do when the premiums to cover dependents exceed 50% of the employee’s wages
- What to do if the employee is on Quest
- What to do if the entity requesting the garnishment can’t be verified
- How to respond if the information can’t be verified
- What is the importance of responding timely
Biography of Speaker
John S. Mackey is a Partner at Goodsill, where he represents and advises employers in many areas of employment law. He defends employers in court and in agency proceedings and investigations involving allegations of harassment, discrimination, failure to accommodate disabilities, wage and hour violations, unfair labor practices and breach of contract restricting post-employment competition or misappropriation of trade secrets. Employers trust John’s advice on issues relating to terminating employees, providing leaves of absence, properly classifying employees, and conducting internal investigations, and he drafts employment related agreements, policies and handbooks.
HRCI™ Credits & SHRM® Credits: 1.5
Thursday, March 24, 2022
9:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
This webinar will be recorded.
Please register below or email Liane Okimoto for registration & invoice option. [email protected] or call 808-440-8815.