Experienced Legal Advice for All Real Estate and Construction Matters
Goodsill’s litigators represent clients pursuing (or defending) claims involving construction contracts, alleged construction or design defects, foreclosure and complex real estate litigation, landlord-tenant matters, summary possession, real estate property tax and assessments, land title disputes, condemnations, and lease and rent negotiations and arbitrations. We also have extensive experience advising and representing major commercial and residential developers in complex litigation, contract, disclosure and warranty disputes, including class actions.
We work closely with attorneys in our real estate, tax, government relations and environmental law groups to achieve cost-effective and often creative solutions, advising and representing clients in every type of dispute or controversy involving real estate.
- Construction litigation: We represent developers, landowners, general contractors and subcontractors in a wide variety of disputes such as alleged construction defects, dust and ground settling, toxic torts, violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), personal injuries and wrongful deaths. We have advised and successfully represented developers, engineering and construction firms, and a variety of contractors in construction contract disputes and claims before the State of Hawaii Regulated Industries Complaints Office (RICO).
- Mechanic’s liens and construction project workouts: We represent developers, general contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, landlords, tenants and lenders in mechanic’s liens, Miller Act, bond claims, and other payment disputes and workouts. These include projects such as hotels, shopping centers, golf courses and residential subdivisions.
- Disputes involving interests in real property: We represent lessees and lessors in condemnation proceedings under the Hawai‘i Land Reform Act (lease-to-fee conversion) and represent landowners in condemnation, adverse possession, quiet title and other claims.
- Foreclosures, summary possessions and lease disputes: We have successfully represented corporate landowners in complex litigation involving redemption of tax sale property. We have also represented lenders from Asia, Hawai‘i and mainland U.S. in commercial and contested residential foreclosure actions.
- Land use matters: We have represented numerous clients in zoning and land use matters, including coordinating development efforts for a national wholesale outlet chain and representing it in a contested case before the Honolulu Zoning Board of Appeals.