We Work with Major Public Utility Companies
Goodsill has long served as outside general counsel to several major Hawai‘i public utility companies, including those providing electric, communication, water and sewer services; motor carriers of property and passengers; and exempt telecommunications providers.
Our Work in These Areas
- Agency matters: We’ve represented clients in rate-setting, certificate of public convenience and necessity, power purchase agreements with independent power producers, integrated resource planning, merger and consolidation of public utility corporations, certification to provide telecommunications service and other administrative proceedings of the Hawaii Public Utilities Commission. We’ve also participated in proceedings before the Environmental Protection Agency, the Hawai‘i Department of Health and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, and we’ve handled appeals involving administrative decisions to state and federal courts.
- Corporate matters: We negotiate, represent and advise clients with respect to contracts, leases, financing agreements and general corporate matters.
- Compliance matters: We represent, assist and advise clients regarding compliance with applicable federal and state statutes and regulations, including emissions and thermal and other environmental standards. We also assist clients in obtaining government permits and variances and drafting proposed legislation, as well as in legislative matters.
- Litigation: We represent utility clients in pursuing claims such as breach of contract or warranty, the recovery of damages resulting from the destruction of fixtures or equipment and the defense of self-insured claims. The firm is also retained by insurers of major utility clients to defend against liability claims for injury and property or other damages resulting from construction accidents, collisions with utility poles, and thermal and chemical pollution.
- PUC Regulations
- Power Purchase Agreements and Other Contracts